6 directives go on a spinner or cube: (1) Change the vowel, (2) Find a word in it, (3) Add an ending, (4) Rhyme it, (5) Make a word with the same beginning, and (6) Use it in a sentence.
Word cards are arranged in a game track on the table. On each turn a die is rolled to tell you how many spaces to move, and then the spinner is spun (or the directions cube is rolled) to tell you what you have to do with the word you’ve landed on. Responses are given orally to keep the game moving briskly and to avoid the issue of having some misspelled words once an ending is added. If a child does not correctly complete the task, s/he moves her playing piece back one space.
- clamp drop rust bench clip sting
- stink pinch spell swim punch clap
- bunch lift stub drip flop tint
- rest rust drink chimp spill click
- stock damp hung small dump stab
- flip blank stick thin lend think
- lump chomp spell stuff dash trust
- swing pest rush block blink wrong
- smell skill crab lump long bank
- land honk spot mast crash gloss